Beginners guide

Do you want a new feature? Let us know about it.
hawk

Beginners guide

Post by hawk »

:D I wonder if a new category could be added to the forums,(beginners guide),this would be aimed at helping new comers and guests,filled with help topics.
As we all know guests and new players do visit the forum's,and sadly some new players quit because they find the game a bit hard.
I help them out sometimes with tips and I get shot doing so,but they are happy and sometimes grateful for this help.
Sad that they have to find out the hard way by trial and error because no help guide is available. :biggthumbsup:
Feel the fear and do it anyway
Remus

Re: Beginners guide

Post by Remus »

:biggthumbsup:
slapshot

Post by slapshot »

hawk wrote::D I wonder if a new category could be added to the forums,(beginners guide),this would be aimed at helping new comers and guests,filled with help topics.
As we all know guests and new players do visit the forum's,and sadly some new players quit because they find the game a bit hard.
I help them out sometimes with tips and I get shot doing so,but they are happy and sometimes grateful for this help.
Sad that they have to find out the hard way by trial and error because no help guide is available. :biggthumbsup:
It's a great idea. We have created several posts to this effect. Maybe I can dig up a few, and "freeze" them to stay at the top of the forum. Or maybe we can create a category devoted to this.
“Crunchy goodness in every box!”

Remus

Post by Remus »

slapshot wrote:It's a great idea. We have created several posts to this effect. Maybe I can dig up a few, and "freeze" them to stay at the top of the forum. Or maybe we can create a category devoted to this.
Our english native moderators (Leon & Steve, our beloved Shiny_Heads) are free to create anything they like.
:cheers:
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

I'm very interested to hear about a beginners guide. :biggthumbsup:
It's over 3 years since I was a beginner, and my memory is not as good as it was. :think:
We need veterans input on what a beginners guide should say.
Then Slapshot can write it out :biggthumbsup: :mrgreen:
“Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.”
slapshot

Post by slapshot »

Lenny wrote:I'm very interested to hear about a beginners guide. :biggthumbsup:
It's over 3 years since I was a beginner, and my memory is not as good as it was. :think:
We need veterans input on what a beginners guide should say.
Then Slapshot can write it out :biggthumbsup: :mrgreen:
I think I just volunteered! :mrgreen:

hawk

Post by hawk »

:D The guide would be survival tips such as moving and shooting and not standing still while being shot at etc,and having a fun enjoyable attitude and respecting other players,don't take the game too seriously and remember it is only a game :pompom:
profesorhr

Post by profesorhr »

Hmm, this is very tricky situation. If we put some basic things in this guide I don't think it will be very useful . But, if we put the knowledge that we have picked up during the years of playing the game then it will be very useful :mrgreen: . But here comes the tricky part. Are you really sure you want to give up years of experience? You want to share it with the people? I mean this is your tactics, favourite spots, camouflage, weapons, basicaly it is your game. I think everybody has to figure out what suites him the best. This is I think the process of learning and every new player has to pass that first. Because of that he will than develope his/her way of playing and not just try to copy. I belive in life and then in the game you have to work harder in the beggining so you can enjoy the fruites of your work later. Afcourse, don't get me wrong, I WILL HELP every noob in the game as I did before and as I am doing now. But some thing I won't share :lol: So, to conclude, before making the guide we have to agree on some things first (e.g. what has to be put in the guide and what not).
“Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” - Albert Einstien
hawk

Post by hawk »

profesorhr wrote:Hmm, this is very tricky situation. If we put some basic things in this guide I don't think it will be very useful . But, if we put the knowledge that we have picked up during the years of playing the game then it will be very useful :mrgreen: . But here comes the tricky part. Are you really sure you want to give up years of experience? You want to share it with the people? I mean this is your tactics, favourite spots, camouflage, weapons, basicaly it is your game. I think everybody has to figure out what suites him the best. This is I think the process of learning and every new player has to pass that first. Because of that he will than develope his/her way of playing and not just try to copy. I belive in life and then in the game you have to work harder in the beggining so you can enjoy the fruites of your work later. Afcourse, don't get me wrong, I WILL HELP every noob in the game as I did before and as I am doing now. But some thing I won't share :lol: So, to conclude, before making the guide we have to agree on some things first (e.g. what has to be put in the guide and what not).
The guide would be a how to get started and get more out of the game and not revel all as it is nice to find things out for one-self.
When you buy a game there is always a little guide giving just enough help,then you learn the rest yourself.
My idea is based on this kind of thing,and I believe a little help is needed just enough help and not too much :D
slapshot

Post by slapshot »

profesorhr wrote:Hmm, this is very tricky situation. If we put some basic things in this guide I don't think it will be very useful . But, if we put the knowledge that we have picked up during the years of playing the game then it will be very useful :mrgreen: . But here comes the tricky part. Are you really sure you want to give up years of experience? You want to share it with the people? I mean this is your tactics, favourite spots, camouflage, weapons, basicaly it is your game. I think everybody has to figure out what suites him the best. This is I think the process of learning and every new player has to pass that first. Because of that he will than develope his/her way of playing and not just try to copy. I belive in life and then in the game you have to work harder in the beggining so you can enjoy the fruites of your work later. Afcourse, don't get me wrong, I WILL HELP every noob in the game as I did before and as I am doing now. But some thing I won't share :lol: So, to conclude, before making the guide we have to agree on some things first (e.g. what has to be put in the guide and what not).

Good point! I think maybe just explain the basics of the game. How to sue the radar, different weapons, how to play the Team games such as Domination, etc. Maybe put in a few tips. Then leave the topic open for individual players to post their own successful tips and strategies?
The important thing to to make it easy and enticing for a player to become registered and stay with us!

freekarol

Post by freekarol »

A picture is worth a thousand words so what about video tutorials? Then everybody would know how to register here, how to change an outfit, how to choose a camp or map etc. :smile:
Mentally strong people don't put others down..
hawk

Post by hawk »

slapshot wrote:

Good point! I think maybe just explain the basics of the game. How to sue the radar, different weapons, how to play the Team games such as Domination, etc. Maybe put in a few tips. Then leave the topic open for individual players to post their own successful tips and strategies?
The important thing to to make it easy and enticing for a player to become registered and stay with us!
I agree but I would not leave the topic open for other player's tips as then too much help might be given out,just leave the basics in and the other things you mentioned.
slapshot

Post by slapshot »

These are all GREAT ideas. We will draft up something very soon, and we'll post it!
:biggthumbsup: :cheers:

hawk

Post by hawk »

freekarol wrote:A picture is worth a thousand words so what about video tutorials? Then everybody would know how to register here, how to change an outfit, how to choose a camp or map etc. :smile:
A great idea adding help video's to the forum or maybe even a few screen shots :D.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

http://www.infdat.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ining+camp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anybody know how to make videos of the game. :?:
“Always be a first rate version of yourself and not a second rate version of someone else.”
slapshot

Post by slapshot »

Lenny wrote:http://www.infdat.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ining+camp

I believe freekarol can help with that! (finally my chance to volunteer someone else!) :mrgreen: :biggthumbsup:

freekarol

Post by freekarol »

slapshot wrote:

I believe freekarol can help with that! (finally my chance to volunteer someone else!) :mrgreen: :biggthumbsup:
Haha you should use much more smaller letters because the ones you used I can read.
freekarol

Post by freekarol »

I have Fraps but I dont know why but it records just when it wants and now when I want, hehe.

Recording a game has 2 disadvantages:
1.software for it is usually not free
2.the recorded video is usually too big so if you dont have great upload then uploading the video takes hours. Yes, you can compress the video but if you dont know how then the video will have bad quality.

So for now I can recommend Fraps. It's very popular because it easy to use it. But it records big videos. Recording for 30 seconds make a several GB big video. And a free version allows recording just for 30 seconds

Bandicam is also great but a free version leaves a watermark. But there are youtube videos how to remove it(but I didnt test it yet).

Camstudio is free software but I was not able to make it work. :smile:

Anyway, I will test other free game recording software...
slapshot

Post by slapshot »

freekarol wrote:

I have Fraps but I dont know why but it records just when it wants and now when I want, hehe.

2.the recorded video is usually too big so if you dont have great upload then uploading the video takes hours. Yes, you can compress the video but if you dont know how then the video will have bad quality.

So for now I can recommend Fraps. It's very popular because it easy to use it. But it records big videos. Recording for 30 seconds make a several GB big video. And a free version allows recording just for 30 seconds

Bandicam is also great but a free version leaves a watermark. But there are youtube videos how to remove it(but I didnt test it yet).

In regards to the size of the video file, maybe if it were converted to another file type? I'm not sure, but I've heard that this is an issue when taking recordings from for example a hand-held video camera and trying to upload to the web. First, the file must be converted to a smaller, lighter file version. I'll do some research, but I bet Supreme could help with this one.
:wink:

freekarol

Post by freekarol »

slapshot wrote:
freekarol wrote:

In regards to the size of the video file, maybe if it were converted to another file type? I'm not sure, but I've heard that this is an issue when taking recordings from for example a hand-held video camera and trying to upload to the web. First, the file must be converted to a smaller, lighter file version. I'll do some research, but I bet Supreme could help with this one.
When I wrote about compressing I meant converting because thats the only way how I can do it, hehe. I tried to convert a Fraps video to flv or avi and the converted video had bad quality. So I uploaded to youtube the original video. :D
slapshot

Post by slapshot »

freekarol wrote:
slapshot wrote:
freekarol wrote: I have Fraps but I dont know why but it records just when it wants and now when I want, hehe.

When I wrote about compressing I meant converting because thats the only way how I can do it, hehe. I tried to convert a Fraps video to flv or avi and the converted video had bad quality. So I uploaded to youtube the original video. :D
That would work well as we cannot load vids to this site. We would just use a hyperlink to youtube. So as long as youtube can take it, that's all we'd need.

Remus

Post by Remus »

Lenny wrote:Does anybody know how to make videos of the game. :?:
Karol is right: there are many good recorders, but FRAPS is the best one.
The main problem is that the AVI recorded movies are not compressed (huge file size).
But this is a good thing, at least for 2 reasons:
- runtime compression means significant processing power demand (and you don't want that if you play a game).
- you can compress the movie later (using the best algorithm and according to your needs)

Example: http://www.infdat.com/movies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- full resolution (800x600)
- 25 FPS (1/2 of the game speed to get the best recording results: no glitches)
- MP4 (H-264) or FLV (in this case)
- 2.2Mbit/s (higher values = better quality but the file size is growing fast)
- 64Kbit/s stereo (the game original sounds)

Result: ABC.flv (13.6MB for 46 seconds).
:cheers: